Parents helping children with homework

Expecting a New Bundle of Joy and Have Questions?

You've come to the right place. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact us:

  • Elementary Zone 1, Housekeeping, and High Schools : (502) 485-3137
  • Elementary Zone 2, Transportation and Middle Schools: (502) 485-3512
  • Elementary Zone 3, Maintenance, Nutrition Services, and Central Office & Administrators: (502) 485-3104
What type of leave may I take for pregnancy?

Eligible employees may take a Medical Leave of absence due to the birth of a child. The duration of the Medical Leave is determined by your treating physician based on your individual medical condition. Once the doctor has released you medically to return to work, following the birth (typically six weeks after delivery or eight weeks if cesarean delivery), you may take unpaid Child Rearing Leave to remain off work. 

What is Child Rearing Leave?

Eligible employees are allowed to take up to two years of unpaid Child Rearing Leave from the date of the birth for the birth or adoption of a child. Employees may not use sick, personal, or vacation days while on Child Rearing Leave.


How does FMLA coordinate with my Medical and/or Child Rearing Leave?

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) grants eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for their own serious health condition; for the serious health condition of a parent, child, or spouse; or for the birth or adoption of a child. These 12 weeks run concurrently with your Medical and/or Child Rearing Leave. Employees may not refuse FMLA leave, if eligible, as directed under the law. If you are taking an unpaid Child Rearing Leave, you must provide the following: medical release returning you to work, birth certificate, and child rearing request form.


How can I be paid while I am out on leave?

Employees who are on Medical Leave may use their Sick Leave (six to eight weeks*), Personal Leave, or Vacation Leave. If you exhaust your paid leave, you may then apply for sick bank days if you are a member of your union’s sick bank. Once you are medically able to return to work and you want to take an unpaid Child Rearing Leave,  you must provide the Leave Center with the following: doctor’s note releasing you from Medical Leave, a copy of the baby’s birth certificate, and a completed Child Rearing Leave request. 

*Six weeks of sick time for vaginal delivery or eight weeks sick time for cesarean delivery

Can I work while I am on Child Rearing Leave?

Certified teachers are able to work in a substitute teacher capacity while on child rearing leave. If you are interested in working as a substitute teacher, please contact the Sub Center to arrange assignments ([502] 485-3110, option 0).


Who lets my location know if I want to use sick time?

It is the employee's responsibility to let your location know how you would like to be paid while out on leave. 

What if I have my baby over the summer? Can I just use my sick days upon my return?

If you or your spouse has the baby over the summer and you are not contracted to work over the summer, you can only use your sick time to cover any remaining 6-8 weeks of your recovery time. For example, Teacher A has a baby July 1. The baby is born via c-section. Teacher A has eight weeks recovery time, which would estimate her being released from her provider around August 21. Teacher A's first contracted day is August 14. Teacher A can use sick time up until August 21. Once released from her provider, then Teacher A can take an unpaid Child Rearing Leave. 

Teacher B had a vaginal delivery June 1. Her recovery time would be six weeks, which would estimate her being released by her provider on or around July 13. Teacher B's first contracted day is August 14. Should her provider release her to return to work, she would be expected to return to work on August 14. If she wanted to take time off, she would need to apply for an unpaid Child Rearing Leave. 

How do you know when my recovery period starts? or Ends?

The recovery period will begin once you deliver the baby. The delivery period will be 6 or 8 weeks, depending on the type of delivery. Vaginal births have a recovery period of six weeks and cesarean births have a recovery period of eight weeks. These weeks are calendar weeks and not work weeks. Once you are cleared by your doctor, then you will need to provide a doctor's note indicating you are cleared to return to work. At this time, you will notify the Leave Center if you wish to take an unpaid Child Rearing Leave beyond your 6-8 weeks of medical leave. 

Can I add my baby on my insurance, or do I have to wait until open enrollment?

You must contact the Benefits Office ([502] 485-3436) within 30 days of the date of the child's birth or adoption to add your dependent on your health insurance. Do not wait.

What if I am placed on bed rest?

If you already have your certification forms on file for the birth of your child, then all we would need is a note from your provider indicating your date of confinement. If you do not already have certification forms on file, please contact the Leave Center to obtain forms. 

Must I use all of my sick days, or can I save some?

An employee can choose the number of days they wish to apply toward their recovery time. If the employee wishes to save some days, they can do so. However, once an employee goes on unpaid leave, they must remain on unpaid leave until they return. For example, Employee A has 20 sick days. They only want to use 15 sick days and save 5. On the sixteenth day of their absence, they realize they need the additional paid time to cover unforeseen bills. Employee A cannot use the additional 5 days they saved because they decided ahead of time to only use 15 sick days. 

What kind of leave can I take if my spouse is having a baby?

An employee can take a medical leave of absence to take care of their spouse. A spouse can use sick days to take care of their spouse while they are recovering. Once the spouse has been cleared medically, both parents can take an unpaid child rearing leave. If both parents are employed by JCPS, and qualify for FMLA, they will share a combined 12-week FMLA period as defined on the Department of Labor Fact Sheet 28L.

"For purposes of FMLA leave, spouse means a husband or wife as defined or recognized in the state where the individual was married and includes individuals in a common law or same-sex marriage. Spouse also includes a husband or wife in a marriage that was validly entered into outside of the United States, if the marriage could have been entered into at least one state." —Department of Labor