1115 W. Chestnut St.
Louisville, KY 40203
Diane L. Porter
Coleridge-Taylor Montessori Elementary School
Coleridge-Taylor Montessori is one of only two elementary schools in the District that offers the Montessori method of teaching through its Montessori Magnet Program. The Montessori method of education is based on self-directed and noncompetitive activities that promote positive self-image and confidence. This hands-on approach to education allows students to grasp a wide variety of academic and social skills to make learning easier. The curriculum is structured and ordered from concrete facts to abstract ideas, which offers the child the opportunity for successful learning and the joy of self-discovery. The curriculum also provides students with a firm foundation in language arts, mathematical concepts, science, geography, and practical living. Students learn in multi-age classrooms where children at various stages of development learn from and with one another. Preprimary classrooms serve students from preschool to six years of age. Primary classrooms are for six- to nine-year-olds; and Intermediate classes work with students nine to twelve years of age. This approach was designed to fit the child instead of making the child fit the program. Students also can take advantage of many cultural arts opportunities like band, orchestra, and violin lessons. Coleridge-Taylor offers the Advance Program, Early Montessori Childhood Jump Start programs for three- and four-year-olds, Montessori Tuition-based programs for three- and four-year-olds, Extended School Services, a Family Resource Center, and before- and after-school child care. Parents are encouraged to get involved in school and to participate in School Based Decision Making.
- Offers the Montessori approach to education for Elementary Clusters 9 through 13
- Provides a tuition-based Montessori Program for 3- and 4-year-olds
- Provides cultural arts opportunities, including band, orchestra, drama, and visual art instruction
- Offers intermediate students trips to Washington, D.C., and Pine Mountain, Kentucky
- Provides an instructional assistant in every classroom
- Offers many student activities, including science club, chess club, basketball team, Boy Scouts, yoga, cheerleading, Girls on the Run, soccer, Student Technology Leadership Program (STLP), Student Leadership Team, and Academic Team
Slogan: Making a world of difference
Last modified November 19, 2014