Go Public button

Classified Substitute Employment

A Support Staff Substitute/Temporary assumes responsibilities of an absent employee and/or provides temporary service which may entail: student instruction under the direction of a supervising teacher, general clerical functions, food service assignments, housekeeping tasks, bus driving, or security assignments and bus monitor.

How can I become a Classified substitute employee?

  1. Upon completion of the online application application , come to the VanHoose Education Center, Room 109, 3332 Newburg Road, Louisville KY 40218, phone - 502/485-3370 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
  2. When applying bring verification for completing Immigration Form I-9 (such as driver's license or personal identification and Social Security card (or birth certificate, passport, or other documents may be required), complete names and addresses of four business/professional references, $25.00 for a criminal record check, a copy of your college degree, high school diploma or GED or have a willingness to enroll in the GED program and make satisfactory progress toward receiving the GED.
  3. Some positions may require testing, training, or a physical examination, which must be scheduled by JCPS personnel.
  4. Substitute employees are given first consideration when entry-level employment opportunities occur.

Substitute Bus Drivers: You may apply to be a Substitute Bus Driver at either C. B. Young, Jr. Service Center, 3001 Crittenden Drive, Louisville, KY 40209 or at the Van Hoose Education Center, 3332 Newburg Road, Louisville, KY 40218.

The following substitute positions are available for application:


Custodian (evening)


Early Childhood Instructional Assistant

Early Childhood Bus Monitor

Nutrition Services Assistant

Exceptional Child Education Instr. Assistant

Lunchroom/Office Assistant

ECE Instr. Assistant with signing skills

Special Needs Transportation Assistant

Instructional Assistant

In-School Security


Once I am an active sub, how do I get my job assignments?

Upon completion of your paperwork – you will be notified of orientation, training, and how to receive assignments. Once hired, Custodians, Bus Drivers, Special Needs Transportation Assistants and Nutrition Service Assistants are contacted by the respective departments. Instructional Assistants, Clerks, and Early Childhood Bus Monitors will be invited to orientation and will use the Substitute Employment Management System (SEMS), a telephone system and/or WebCenter, an online system.

This system is used by both employees and substitutes. Employees report their absence, creating an assignment; substitutes may hear/view assignments to accept. SEMS uses a variety of lists and features to determine the most qualified substitute for the job opening and will place a telephone call to the substitute(s). It will continue to call substitutes until the positions have been filled.

How many days do I need to work within a fiscal year (July 1-June 30) to remain in active status?

To remain active you must accept assignments on a regular basis and return your annual reasonable assurance of employment contract by the deadline date.

Whom should I contact for more information?

Application Center, 3332 Newburg Road, Suite 109 Phone: (502) 485-3370, Fax (502) 485-6454 Hours: 7:30 am – 4:30 p.m.

Last modified February 3, 2015