- Employee Groups
- JCPS Policy Manual
- District Contacts
- JCPS Online (Angel)
- JCPS Online (BbLearn)
Certified Substitute Teacher Employment
What is needed to apply for a certified substitute teacher position?
- Complete a JCPS online application for a substitute teacher. Remember to upload the following documents to your application:
- Driver’s license
- Unofficial transcripts
- Certificate of Completion for the Use of Physical Restraint and Seclusion Training (link included in the application instructions)
- Records check—Come to the VanHoose Education Center (3332 Newburg Road, Louisville, KY 40218) Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. The records check fee is $34.75 (exact cash or check only), and a driver’s license or picture ID is required. Note: The records check fee may be changed without notice. The records check stays current for one year only, unless there is a break in service and does not guarantee employment.
- Candidates are selected to continue through the hiring process according to the following criteria:
- Kentucky teacher certification
- Previous successful teaching experience
- College degree, major, and grade point average (GPA)—A minimum of 64 semester college hours from an accredited college and at least a 2.45 GPA are required.
- References—Reference forms will be sent to the e-mail addresses of the contacts listed. Preferably, the applicant will provide at least two references from a supervisor. References from relatives will not be accepted.
- Candidates who complete applications and meet the hiring needs of the district will receive a substitute teacher orientation invitation via e-mail.
What is a preferred substitute?
A preferred substitute is an active substitute teacher who is recommended by principals at school locations that qualify for preferred substitutes. The preferred substitute list is generated annually. Preferred substitutes are assigned to a “home school.” They are guaranteed employment each school day and paid according to the Certified Substitute Teacher Salary Schedule plus $15 per day. These substitutes must work every school day and must take any job assigned.
What is an auto-assigned or priority substitute?
Auto-assigned or priority substitutes are substitute teachers who are a school’s first choice to be assigned to jobs in that school. School administrators request these substitutes, and their names are placed on a list. When a preferred substitute is not available (or if the school does not qualify to have a preferred substitute), the auto-assigned substitute is automatically placed in that job if he or she has not already been assigned to a job elsewhere.
What is a temporary appointee assignment?
Temporary appointee assignments are single assignments/positions at a particular school for 20 days without interruption in an active service. Beginning on the temporary appointee’s twenty-first day, he or she is paid at the rate of a substitute teacher times 1.5 retroactive to the first day he or she began qualifying as a temporary appointee. Temporary appointee assignments must be filled by substitute teachers who hold valid teaching certification.
How does No Child Left Behind (NCLB) affect certified substitute teachers?
The NCLB Act requires the district to provide “highly qualified” teachers in any temporary appointee assignment. A highly qualified substitute teacher is one who holds current teacher certification with the state of Kentucky. These substitutes are placed in positions related to their areas of certification.
How many days do I need to work within a month to remain in active status?
A substitute remains in active status by working at least 10 days a month and returning the requested annual Assurance documentation, KY Substitute Teacher Certificate and the upcoming school year state mandated Completion Certificate for Promoting Positive Behaviors in school.
How is the substitute teacher salary determined?
Pay scales are determined by the total number of cumulative college semester hours and/or degree(s) and experience. Additional steps, after review and approval, may be given for permanent teacher experience in grade levels K–12 for no less than 147 days a school year. (Certified Substitute Teacher Salary Schedule)
Once I am an active substitute, how do I get my job assignments?
Job assignments are created and assigned through SmartFindExpress, a phone line, WebCenter, and online system. This system is used by both JCPS teachers and substitutes. Teachers report their absence, creating an assignment. Substitutes may hear/view assignments to accept. The system uses a variety of lists and features to determine the most qualified substitute for the job and will place a telephone call to the substitute(s). It will continue to call substitutes until the positions have been filled.
Whom should I contact if I need additional information?
Contact the Substitute Teacher Help Desk at 485-3110 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Last modified August 21, 2015