- Employee Groups
- District Contacts
- District Meeting Schedule
- JCPS Online
Certified Substitute Teacher Employment
What is needed to apply for a Certified Substitute Teacher position?
- Complete a JCPS online application.
- When prompted via email, complete the Substitute Readiness Survey or the Teacher Disposition Survey (you will not be prompted to complete the Substitute Readiness Survey if you previously applied for a teacher position and completed the Teacher Disposition Survey).
- Candidates are selected to continue through the hiring process according to the following criteria:
- Previous teaching experience
- Kentucky teacher certification
- College degree, major, and GPA
- Past work history and comments from previous supervisors
- Results from Substitute Readiness Survey or Teacher Disposition Survey
- Successful candidates will receive notification via email that they have met the necessary qualifications to attend the Substitute Orientation.
- Successful candidates who are invited to the Substitute Orientation MUST bring the following items to the orientation to be admitted:
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope from the educational institution. We do not recommend that official transcripts be sent to the Human Resource office.
- Fingerprint verification card (obtained when the candidate is fingerprinted). Hours of operation for the fingerprint center are 7:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday, located on the first floor of the Van Hoose building, 3332 Newburg Road, Louisville, Kentucky.
- Social security card
- Picture identification
- Social security numbers of spouse and children for beneficiary information
What is a “preferred substitute?”
A preferred substitute is an active substitute teacher who is recommended by principals at school locations that qualify for preferred substitutes. The preferred substitute list is generated annually. The preferred substitute is assigned to a "home school", guaranteed employment each school day, and paid at the daily substitute teacher salary schedule Certified Substitute Teacher Salary Schedule (pdf) plus $15.00 per day. These substitutes must work every school day and must take any job assigned.
What is an “auto-assigned or priority substitute?”
Auto-assigned or priority subs are substitute teachers who are the school’s first choice to be assigned to jobs in that school. The school administrators request these substitutes, and their names are placed on a list for that particular school. When the “preferred substitute” is not available (or if the school does not qualify to have a preferred substitute), the “auto sub” is automatically placed in that job if the “auto sub” has not already been assigned a job elsewhere.
What is a temporary appointee assignment?
Temporary appointee assignments are single assignments/positions at a particular school for twenty (20) days without interruption in an active service. Beginning on the temporary appointee's twenty-first day, he/she is paid at the rate of a substitute teacher times 1.5 retroactive to the first day he/she began qualifying as a temporary appointee. Temporary appointee assignments must be filled by substitute teachers who hold valid teaching certification.
How does the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) law affect certified substitute teachers?
The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) requires the district to provide "highly qualified" teachers in any temporary appointee assignment. A "highly qualified" substitute teacher is one that holds current teacher certification with the state of Kentucky. These substitutes are placed in positions which are related to their areas of certification.
How many days do I need to work within a month to remain in active status?
A substitute retains active status by working at least 5 days per month and returning the "Status of Employment and Character and Fitness Form" which is mailed at the end of each school year.
How is the substitute teacher salary determined?
Pay scales are determined by total number of cumulative college semester hours and/or degree(s) and experience. In order to be given credit for one year's service with Jefferson County Public Schools as a substitute teacher (a salary step increase), the employee must work 70 days within the fiscal year. Certified Substitute Teacher Salary Schedule (pdf)
Once I am an active sub, how do I get my job assignments?
Job assignments are created and assigned through SmartFindExpress, a phone line, WebCenter, and online system. This system is used by both JCPS teachers and substitutes. Teachers report their absence, creating an assignment; substitutes may hear/view assignments to accept. The system uses a variety of lists and features to determine the most qualified substitute for the job and will place a telephone call to the substitute(s). It will continue to call substitutes until the positions have been filled.
Whom should I contact if I need additional information?
Contact the Substitute Teacher Help Desk at 485-3110 from 7:30 am to 4:30 p.m.
Last modified January 31, 2014