Financial Planning and Management:
The Financial Planning and Management Department has the responsibility of insuring that the resources of the district are aligned to meet the needs of all children, as those needs are identified by the administration and instruction divisions of Jefferson County Public Schools. Our goal is to strive for the best utilization of available funds towards an optimal academic achievement level for each student. The philosophy of our department is that the resources must follow the needs of the students.
The specific responsibilities of the department are as follows:
- Develop and control the budget for all fund sources.
- Produce and maintain the budget development system, and site-based distribution system in a manner conducive to the utilization of the budget as a planning tool for all schools and departments.
- Annually develop and maintain position control, thereby managing the approved staffing levels for all fund sources at all locations.
- Create, and submit for approval the financial operating plan of the General Fund portion of the budget. This includes, first and foremost, allocations appropriate for the high standards of resources needed for schools, and most importantly for instruction in Jefferson County Public Schools.
- To work with program directors in order to insure that their specific budgets fulfill their intent regarding program objectives, and are utilized for the very highest priorities of our students.
- Insure proper fund balance is maintained in order to meet state requirements, fulfill legal obligations, and maintain an acceptable level of liquidity for the support of cash flow.
- Provide district administrators support in recurrent and one-time internal needs regarding financial data.
- Provide district administration any needed financial impact analysis of legislative concerns and strategies.
- To identify, gain approval, and allocate resources for board-approved projects and priorities.
- To produce and follow the yearly budget calendar.
- To maintain the grants and awards project and grant tracking system, thus enabling the district to update and monitor these fund sources, provide mechanisms to prompt for appropriate actions, and furnish program status information.
- To update the chart of accounts for revenue and expenses, thereby establishing a structure of accounts that allows for the most appropriate categorization of codes for the proper identification of those elements.
- To annually develop a district five-year plan for revenues and expenses for General Fund, thus enabling the district to operate with long-term planning of resources and obligations.
- To collect, analyze, organize, and post the Comprehensive School Improvement Plan in order to outline resources for the highest district goals, comply with KDE requirements, and enable JCPS to apply for federal grants.
- To continue the culture of friendly customer-service within the areas of our responsibility.
Date Modified 9/12/12