- Academic Competition Home
- Debate Teams
- Yearly Calendar
- Focus Works
- Spelling Bee
- KAAC Home
- Contact Us
- JCPS Home
JCPS 15th DISTRICT PTA
The JCPS 15th District Spelling Bee will be held on February 11, 2015 at Sallie Durrett Auditorium, Louisville Male High School, at 4:30.
Each JCPS elementary and middle school may send ONE representative to the county spelling bee. The 15th District PTA will provide the following prizes for the winners of the Spelling Bee. They are as follows:
1st Place $100 + Trophy
2nd Place $50 + Trophy
3rd Place $25 + Trophy
If you would like to register your school to participate in the JCPS 15th District PTA Spelling Bee, please fill out the registration form and fax or pony it to the Office of Academic Competition (6647) by December 3, 2014. There is no need to register with Scripps Howard and pay their fee to participate in the JCPS 15th District PTA sponsored spelling bee. This competition is not affiliated with the Scripps Howard Spelling Bee. The county winner WILL be sent to the Kentucky Derby Festival Spelling Bee, but the Kentucky winner from that bee will not be eligible to go to the National Scripps Howard Bee in Washington, D.C. in 2013. The Kentucky Derby Foundation’s spelling competition is also no longer affiliated with Scripps-Howard.
After we receive your entry form, we will send you a Spelling Bee Study Guide, which contains words that you can use for your school spelling bee. These booklets will be available in late November or early December. You will also receive a form to report your school winner.
Each school conducts their own bee to pick their representative according to their school's tradition. Schools should plan their bees for December or early January. School winner forms are due in the Office of Academic Competition by Jan. 14, 2015.
JCPS 15th DISTRICT PTA
Return ASAP to the office of Academic Competition
This entry form must be received by December 3, 2014 in order to receive your spelling bee study guide and your winner form. The winner form will be due in my office by January 16, 2013. Therefore, all school level spelling bees should be completed by January 14, 2015. Please plan accordingly.
Please print or type:
School Contact Person ________________________________________________
Telephone FAX ________
Your copy of the JCPS spelling bee study guide will be mailed in late November
or early December, as soon as we receive them from the KY Derby Festival.
The study guide contains approximately 2,000 words divided into categories
Please keep in mind that although it contains some of the words that will be used in the JCPS 15th District PTA Spelling Bee, it is not the exact spelling list for the bee. Students should use the dictionary and other sources to study as well.
Send entry forms to:
Jamie Gibson, Coordinator
J.C. Cantrell Gym
2015 Results -4:30 on February 11, 2015
Sally Durrett Auditorium
JCPS 15th District PTA
SPELLING BEE RULES
- Students will draw a number when they register and this will determine the order of spelling. Words will be given in the order that they appear in the JCPS Pronouncer’s Guide for the spelling bee.
- Late arrivals must be registered before round two begins, or they will not be admitted into the spelling bee.
- Words will be pronounced according to the diacritical markings in the fourth edition of the American Heritage Dictionary.
- In competition, after the pronouncer gives the contestant a word, the contestant will be encouraged to pronounce the word before spelling it and after spelling it.
- The contestant may ask the pronouncer to say the word again, define it, give the language of origin and/or use it in a sentence.
- Having started to spell a word, a contestant may stop and start over, retracing the spelling from the beginning, but in retracing there can be no change of letters or their sequence from those first pronounced. If letters or their sequence are changed in the respelling, the speller will be eliminated.
- The contest shall be conducted in rounds. Each contestant remaining in the spelling bee at the start of a round shall spell one word in the round.
- Upon missing the spelling of a word, a contestant immediately drops out of the contest, except as provided in Rule 9. The next word is given to the next contestant.
- This rule addresses the procedures that should be followed at the end of a spelling bee. This may not be the same as the procedure followed at your local school bee.
- If none of the contestants remaining in the bee at the start of a round spells a word correctly during the round, all shall remain in the competition.
- If only one of the contestants remaining in the bee at the start of a round spells a word correctly during that round, that contestant shall be declared the winner. Once the winner has been declared, a “spell down” will be conducted among the contestants in that round to determine the second and third place winners.
- Any question relating to the spelling of a word should be referred to the designated official immediately in writing on the official appeal form. Appeals may be filed by a parent, legal guardian, or teacher of the speller who is seeking reinstatement into the contest.
- The judges are in complete control of the spelling bee. Their decision shall be final on all questions.
Date Modified 7/3/14